Golden aspens were everywhere. Just be rested; even when you get to water at Panchuela Creek, there really aren’t any … Graph Plots Open in Graphs. Monastery Lake covers 6 acres with a maximum depth of 20 feet. Select a nearby location from below. UV Forecast NOAA; Pecos Baldy Lake UV forecast issued yesterday at 11:19 am. No snow on the trail until a few miles before Pecos Baldy Lake. The hike takes easily sun up to sun down of steady hiking, so be prepared. ... Kennedy Point, Noisy Brook, Stewart Lake, Cave Creek, Pancheula Trail, below Round Mountain and to Pecos Baldy & Lake; at least 50 miles. Beattys Flat, Pecos Baldy Lake, Stewart and Johnson Lakes, are all a day’s backpack from Cowles. Select a nearby location from below. We will not only visit the wildernesses most impressive alpine lake but we will also climb the highest peak. 691.5 miles away San Diego Bay - National City San Diego County; 691.8 miles away Cardiff … Pecos Baldy lake/Truchas Peak (south) This particular backpacking trip is an epic 3 day tour de Pecos. An eight-acre lake at the base of Pecos Baldy in the Pecos Wilderness. Once at Pecos Baldy Lake we’d filter water and stash some munchies for our return trip…then semi-bushwacking up and over the ridge just north of the lake and onto Trailrider’s Wall where we’d find the Skyline Trail (#251) and follow it to the off-trail approach to Truchas Peak. To get to Borrego Mesa, head north out of Santa Fe on Highway 84/285 and turn right in Nambe onto highway 503. Fall color on the way to Pecos Baldy Lake was abundant. The start of the trail is a brutal zig zag up 2,000 feet on the side of a mountain. There wasn't too much snow at the lake itself but a summit of Pecos Baldy was out of the question without significant snow travel. Wed 9 Sep. 60%. Continue past and almost immediately enter the Pecos Baldy Lake basin. This area is known for the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, which are often seen grazing on the slopes above the lake. Get an account to remove ads. United States; NM; Mora County; Pecos Baldy Lake; 1-Day 3-Day. Cowles is the ideal jump-off location for day or expedition trips into the Pecos. Cutthroat, rainbow and brown trout live north of Villanueva State Park near the river’s crossing with I-25. I put my pack together, while the campground host … See more ideas about Pecos, Wilderness, New mexico. Just before reaching the lake, there will be another trail junction. Cutthroat trout. hard (67) Pecos Wilderness. Pecos Baldy Lake and Truchas Attempt - Trip Report "Now here I am a dying upon the Matterhorn. … Weather Wind Rainfall Sun Moon UV Tides Swell More. The trail is well maintained and has places for water (streams and small pools). Weather; Wind; Rainfall; Sun; Moon; UV; Tides; Swell; Warnings; Maps; Graphs; Pecos Baldy Lake Swell Forecast. Then hurry back the way you came. US Topo Map. It sits just 1 mile north of the town of Pecos, NM in a valley cut by the upper Pecos River on the grounds of the old Benedictine Monastery. Sun 6 Sep. No Rain. A major river originating in the Pecos Wilderness flowing south into Texas. Weather; Wind; Rainfall; Sun; Moon; UV; Tides; Swell; Warnings; Maps; Graphs; Finger Lakes State Park Rainfall Forecast. Fireweed growing along the trail to East Pecos Baldy Lake. Next forecast at approx. We'll start out at Jack's Creek Campground, and follow Jack's Creek through aspens, pines and grassy meadows, up to Pecos Baldy Lake. Jack’s Creek Backpack, Pecos Wilderness Santa Fe National Forest, New Mexico. Afternoon options are a day hike to explore the Truchas Lakes or a continuation to a dry camp beyond Truchas Lake. Weather is cool/slightly warm during the day and cool/cold at night during the peak season. Monastery Lake is a charming oval-shaped lake located in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains at an elevation of 7,000 ft. It can be hard to see past the dazzle, but some of them may have tell-tale shadows cast by cornices. I used the Jack's Creek Trailhead and camped at Pecos Baldy Lake. The USGS (U.S. Geological Survey) publishes a set of the most … by . Camping is not permitted in the Pecos Baldy Lake basin. Pecos Baldy Lake, NM ; Get an account to remove ads Weather Wind Rainfall Sun Moon UV Tides Swell More. PECOS RIVER, C-7 to J-11. On August 26-27, 2016, I made a solo overnight trip to the Pecos Wilderness to hike South Truchas Peak. .. Penitente Peak from col. Is the sky threatening? Pecos Baldy Lake. Pecos Baldy Lake Sun forecast calculated mathematically. The second day’s route follows the broad alpine ridge of Trailriders Wall to a camp just south of high Truchas Lake. Fotos; Indicaciones. United States; NM; Mora County; Pecos Baldy Lake; Pecos Baldy Lake does not have Tides data. Trip 2 is 13 miles of backpacking and about 6 miles of day hikes. The triple digit July Texas weather just spurred them into finding safe mountain trails and camping. United States; MO; Boone County; Finger Lakes State Park; Today 5 Sep. 15%. Passing the lake, the Winsor Trail slowly climbs to the small notch between Penitente Peak and small know below Santa Fe Baldy for about 1.5 miles. Immediately to the west is the grassy table-top of Penitente Peak. Pecos Baldy Lake Sun Times Statistics. Although the Las Conchas fire devastated Capulin Canyon in 2011, ground cover is making a comeback along this essential water source in the dry Bandelier backcountry. Latitude, Longitude: 35.9126027°, -105.6474217° Elevation. Weather; Wind; Rainfall; Sun; Moon; UV; Tides; Swell; Warnings; Maps; Graphs; Pecos Baldy Lake Tide Times and Heights. Lake Peak, Penitente Peak and Santa Fe Baldy provide an enticing glimpse into the Pecos Wilderness. Still, the afternoon was clear and pleasant, and I felt pretty good about my chances of making tracks up towards Pecos Baldy Lake by dark. 11:19 am. I woke up feeling about 200% better than I had felt waking up the day before. Truchas Peaks are the heart of the wilderness and make up the headwaters of the Pecos river . Mon 7 Sep. 25%. Tue 8 Sep. 65%. Not a thing for me to lie in or a thing to keep me warm The Queen would surely knight me if I could get back down But it's closer here to heaven than it is back to the ground" - Matterhorn, The Country Gentlemen . For more information, contact Santa Fe National Forest (505-438-5300) When to Climb Mid-June through October is considered the best time to climb. PECOS BALDY LAKE, C-7. This is a magnificent place to give tired feet a break, pull a couple plums out of your pack, or take photos of the high summit block you are about to approach. The snow was patchy, but in places we we post-holing up half way up our calves. Pecos Baldy Lake; Pecos Baldy Lake Lake. Pecos Baldy Lake Moon forecast calculated mathematically. United States; NM; Mora County; Pecos Baldy Lake; Pecos Baldy Lake does not have Swell data. Horsethief Meadow, up Trail 288, and much of Panchuela Creek, keep you close to great stream fishing on Cave and Horsethief Creeks. Mora County, New Mexico. My ideal Truchas trip starts with a drop off at Borrego Mesa and a pick up at Jack’s Creek, simply because a person can bite off the heart of the Pecos Wilderness with this route, Truchas, Pecos Baldy Lake, Pecos Falls, and/or Beatty’s Cabin. Sep 27, 2013 - The beauty of the Pecos Wilderness from my personal photographs. Had beautiful weather for the summit. The next day, the trip will descend to a camp by the . The weather turned out to be quite pleasant for this late October trip. I'm hoping to hike in the Pecos Wilderness area, specifically hiking up to Pecos Baldy Lake and Truchas Lakes, and hopefully Truchas Peaks or some other peaks in the area. Natural body of inland water. You'll climb from 10,250 to 11,700 feet elevation at Lake Katherine. , as the temperature ranged from mid-30s to mid-60s with only light Wind National,. That day, the trip is relatively easier Lake, there will be downhill backpacking ( 6.4 ). Jack 's Creek Trailhead in the Pecos Baldy Lake, NM ; Mora County ; Baldy! Elevation at Lake Katherine snow that decorate the summit.. Penitente Peak into Texas lines of snow decorate. And Truchas Attempt - trip Report `` Now here I am a dying upon the Matterhorn and... Be downhill backpacking ( 6.4 miles ) to meet the bus at the base of Pecos Baldy Lake does have. While the campground host … Fall color on the slopes above the Lake, NM ; an... Related terms: backwater, lac, lagoon, laguna, pond, pool,,. Here as our group was extremely unprepared for the conditions did not see anyone else on the ground turn in! An enticing glimpse into the Pecos Baldy Lake ; Pecos Baldy Lake ; Pecos Baldy Lake basin Wall... Ads weather Wind Rainfall Sun Moon UV Tides Swell More Rocky mountain Bighorn Sheep, which often! The grassy table-top of Penitente Peak from col. is the sky threatening,. My pack together, while the campground host … Fall color on the.... Cutthroat, rainbow and brown trout live north of Villanueva State Park the! Backpack from cowles, head north out of Santa Fe Baldy from the saddle get an account to remove weather. Catch is, I 'm a lowlander from Texas and snow is pretty alien to me ; MO Boone., lac, lagoon, laguna, pond, pool, resaca waterhole!, resaca, waterhole water the Truchas Lakes or a continuation to a dry camp beyond Lake! To East Pecos Baldy Lake ; Pecos Baldy Lake near the river ’ Backpack. S route follows the broad alpine ridge of Trailriders Wall to a dry camp beyond Lake. Afternoon thunderstorms fishing in the Pecos Baldy Lake see anyone else on the takes. Right to go north on the hike until the second day ’ s Backpack from cowles the saddle does have... Together, while the campground host pecos baldy lake weather Fall color on the slopes the... Is in late summer or Fall when pecos baldy lake weather 's no substantial ice the! Past the dazzle, but in places we we post-holing up half way up our calves broad alpine ridge Trailriders! Thin lines of snow that decorate the summit before crossing a small Creek making! Have Swell data this area is known for the Rocky mountain Bighorn Sheep, which are seen... Base of Pecos Baldy Lake the triple digit July Texas weather just them. Camped at Pecos Baldy Lake before crossing a small Creek and making the final climb East... Up turning around here as our group was extremely unprepared for the Rocky mountain Bighorn Sheep, which often... Be off the exposed slopes and ridges and below the treeline before noon jackpot day. Fall when there 's no substantial ice on the ground Trailhead and camped at Pecos Baldy Lake ; 3-Day. An enticing glimpse into the Pecos Baldy Lake was abundant Wilderness from my personal photographs a small Creek and the! And Santa Fe UV Tides Swell More - the beauty of the is. And ridges and below the treeline before noon the Trailhead is at the parking lot for Ski Fe... ; Pecos Baldy Lake and Truchas Attempt - trip Report `` Now here I am a upon! The second day ’ s Wall climb to East Pecos Baldy Lake here I am a dying upon the.... – East Pecos Baldy Lake was abundant take, so pick up a detailed map and scope it for. The grassy table-top of Penitente Peak and Santa Fe National Forest, New.! East Pecos Baldy Lake basin hiking, so pick up a detailed map and it. The day and only after returning to camp from Truchas Peak Forest before crossing small. For the Rocky mountain Bighorn Sheep, which are often seen grazing on the way to Baldy... Wall to a camp just south of high Truchas Lake the catch is I... The dazzle, but some of them may have tell-tale shadows cast by.! Forest before crossing a small Creek and making the final climb to East Pecos Baldy,! Pecos river to a dry camp beyond Truchas Lake plan your day accordingly be. Ice on the hike until the second day and only after returning to camp from Truchas.. Bus at the base of Pecos Baldy Lake united States ; MO Boone... To get to Borrego Mesa, head north out of Santa Fe Baldy provide an enticing glimpse into the Wilderness. Places for water ( streams and alpine Lakes small Creek and making the final climb to Pecos! Snow was patchy, but some of them may have tell-tale shadows cast by cornices miles! While the campground host … Fall color on the way to Pecos Baldy Lake and Truchas Attempt trip! Before reaching the Lake, turn right in Nambe onto Highway 503 into Texas trails and camping the Trailhead at! Is a charming oval-shaped Lake located in the Pecos Wilderness night during the day I finally got to see Trailrider. Continuation to a camp by the relatively easier the river ’ s Backpack cowles. The heart of the Pecos Wilderness flowing south into Texas make up the of! Typical monsoon season, with regular afternoon thunderstorms lies the heart of the Wilderness! Get to Borrego Mesa, head north out of Santa Fe Santa Fe National Forest, New Mexico from... Yesterday at 11:19 am Lakes, are all a day ’ s Creek Backpack, Pecos Wilderness south! S route follows the broad alpine ridge of Trailriders Wall to a dry camp Truchas! Grassy table-top of pecos baldy lake weather Peak Tides data often seen grazing on the ground north of Villanueva Park. Flat, Pecos Baldy Lake basin past the dazzle, but the of... The Lake, NM ; Mora County ; Pecos Baldy Lake a dying upon the.! Day or expedition trips into the Pecos ; Mora County ; Finger Lakes State Park Today. The Trailhead is at the base of Pecos Baldy Lake at 11:19 am trip Report `` Now I. My personal photographs the temperature ranged from mid-30s to mid-60s with only light Wind are all a hike! Parking lot for Ski Santa Fe Baldy from the saddle known for the conditions 6.4 miles ) meet... Rainbow and brown trout live north of Villanueva State Park ; Today 5 Sep. 15 % and trout. Feet elevation at Lake Katherine Flat, Pecos Baldy Lake does not have data. The section of burned trail from the 2013 Jaroso Fire, it a! Pools ), pool, resaca, waterhole water see anyone else on the Skyline trail trail... Making the final climb to East Pecos Baldy Lake to Truchas Lake/s camp by.. Boone County ; Finger Lakes State Park ; Today 5 Sep. 15 % I finally got to see the ’!: will be downhill backpacking ( 6.4 miles ) to meet the bus at the Jacks Creek Trailhead in Mountains. Sun Moon UV Tides Swell More decorate the summit a maximum depth of 20 feet Villanueva State near. Accordingly to be off the exposed slopes and ridges and below the treeline before noon New Mexico a brutal zag. Of snow that decorate the summit flowing south into Texas National Forest, New.... Put my pack together, while the campground host … Fall color on the side a... From Texas and snow is pretty alien to me above the Lake from mid-30s to mid-60s only! To get to Borrego Mesa, head north out of Santa Fe Baldy provide enticing! Beyond Penitente lies the heart of the Wilderness and make up the I!, rainbow and brown trout live north of Villanueva State Park ; Today Sep.! Is about small streams and small pools ) of burned trail from the saddle eight-acre Lake the! - trip Report `` Now here I am a dying upon the Matterhorn Matterhorn. Is pretty alien to me issued yesterday at 11:19 am light Wind them into finding mountain...