The present perfect continuous tense is used to talk about a continuous, but not necessarily finished action or situation. We use the Past Perfect Simple to express a completed action in the … The present perfect tense is used to talk about a finished action or situation. It is used to describe an event that started in the past but is still happening in the present. Writing, grammar, and communication tips for your inbox. Further Exploration. (Iran USA se bhut saalo se lad rha hai) 2. Present Simple vs Present Continuous: State verbs and action verbs. What are you doing next week? (I have known her since primary school). Feb 26, 2020 - Present Perfect Continuous Tense Rules and Examples - In Present Perfect Continuous Tense, we use have with I, We, You, They and Plural Names and -ing form of the verb (present participle form) and time by using since or for. The present perfect is most frequently used to talk about experiences or changes that have taken place, but there are other less common uses as well. It is also known as Present Perfect Progressive Tense It is a combination of two tenses, the present continuous and the … In both the examples the action is in the form of progress. Present perfect and continuous dialogues can also help with practicing the differences. The present perfect continuous is used with actions that began in the past and are still continuing. When we have “since when” and “for how long” words in the begging of the sentences then present perfect continuous tense is used. An action that occurred in the past, but has a result in the present … Present Perfect Continuous Tense meiN sahaayak kriyaa 'has been / have been' kaa prayog hotaa hai aur verb kee first form ke saath 'Ing' joDaa jaataa hai. That event in the present can be We use the Present Perfect Continuous to show an action or a state that started in the past and has continued up until now with duration. I have been to Spain three times. Required fields are marked *. Present Perfect Continuous. These boys are sitting on the chair. At the end of this fifth and last lesson, you will be able to answer the following questions in detail: In positive sentences, we simply make the sentences according to Present Perfect continuous Tense rules. What is Past Perfect Continuous Tense, rules and Examples: Past perfect continuous tense is used to express an action that started in the past and till continued in the past. The present perfect simple has a very similar use, which focuses on the result of the action, whereas the present perfect continuous focuses on the action itself. Present Perfect Continuous! In this sentence, using the present perfect continuous verb tense conveys that reading War and Peace is an activity that began sometime in the past and is not yet finished in the present (which is understandable in this case, given the length of Tolstoy’s weighty tome).. Compare: I have been gardening since morning. Here is the basic structure of Present Perfect Continuous Tense: Here are some more examples for you. John has been reading novels every day since December. Here is the basic structure of Past Perfect Continuous Tense… Compare with the simple past: I went to Spain three times in 2005. Present perfect continuous tense examples, What is simple past tense, rules and its uses with examples, What is Group Discussion, Tips, Advantages and Types, Complete English Grammar Tenses in Hindi + Free PDF, What is Software Quality Assurance and Its Process, Explain Cohesion and Coupling With Types in Software Engineering. Present Perfect Continuous Tense Formula for Third Person Singular. They have been staying here for the last one and a half years. WH Sentences = Wh word + has/have + Subject + been+1st Verb + Ing + Object? See my page here about the difference between the present perfect simple and the present perfect continuous for more explanation. The action started in the past and continues to the present in the same way as with use number 1, but we don't answer the questions about 'how long' so … They are called state verbs. Present perfect continuous. Present Perfect continuous Tense is made up of three main parts auxiliary verb has/ have , auxiliary verb been and 1st  form of base verb+ ing. Present Perfect continuous Tense= Subject +has/have (Helping Verb) + been (Auxiliary verb) + 1st Verb+, Has –> (He, She, It, any Name, Singular noun). states). I hope you have enjoyed this article and get what you wanted. Tag questions are those questions which are answered at the end of the sentence. There are several reasons as to why we use the passive voice in English. Present progressive - (Present continuous) signal words Simple present signal words: at the moment, at present, now, right now, still, today, tonight. The forms are present because they use the present tense of the auxiliary verb have, and perfect … Forming the Present Perfect Continuous Present perfect continuous tense expresses the action which is occurred in the past, and they proceed in the current situation or maybe in the future. For & Since Ex. The Past Perfect Continuous Tense: It had been seeming like the right decision at the time. Some of the worksheets below are English Grammar Stories and Exercises : Present Perfect Continuous – Explanation of Present Perfect Continuous, Special Spelling Rules for adding “ing”, …, Present Perfect Continuous (Present Perfect Progressive) : Questions like Put the verb in the present perfect progressive tense., Present Perfect Simple or Present Perfect Continuous … Grammar B1-B2: Present perfect simple and present perfect continuous: 1. Here is the basic structure of Present Perfect Continuous Tense: Now that we have understood the use of since and for. Present perfect continuous tense is used to express an action that started in the past and continued till present. The present perfect continuous talks about an action which has started in the past, is still going on in the present, and will continue in the future. Here is the basic structure of Present Perfect Continuous Tense: Here are some more examples for you. The formula for present perfect continuous is present tense of have + been + present participle (root + ‑ing). Present perfect and present perfect continuous/ progressive video tutorial. NOT: I've been being here for hours. (Focus on completion) I … Let us now understand the structure of the sentence in Present Perfect Continuous Tense. The present perfect is a verb tense which is used to show that an action has taken place once or many times before now. I am here to help you regarding all your problems related to career. Present Perfect Progressive / Continuous An unspecified time between 'BEFORE NOW' and 'NOW'. … Present perfect continuous tense is used to express an action that started in the past and continued till present. Girls have … The structure of the Present Perfect (formula): Affirmative Sentence; Subject + have/has + past participle. It doesn't matter if the whole action is finished or not. The formula for Positive sentences in Present Perfect Continuous form is – (Subject + has/have been + ‘ing’ form of verb + time of occurrence) Rule for Positive Sentences in Present Perfect Continuous form: (I started living in it 40 … (specified time in the past - the year 2005) 2. In the present perfect continuous tense, the action has been taking place for some time and is still ongoing. Present Perfect Continuous Tense Present Perfect Continuous Definition. Also, make sure to review non-continuous or stative verbs with students. The present perfect continuous (often called present perfect progressive) is considered to be a tense of the present rather than of the past as it has a strong relation to now. The baby is crying. TrueOrFalse_MTYyNzU= Present continuous 4. Hehas been do… We use both the present perfect simple (have or has + past participle) and the present perfect continuous (have or has + been + -ing form) to talk about past actions or states which are still connected to the present. Is now threatening the local people. Compare with the simple past: I went to Spain three times in 2005. You have been successfully subscribed to the Grammarly blog. For Example if a person says,” I have been waiting here for three hours”. Present perfect continuous – passive. The present perfect continuous tense (also known as the present perfect progressive tense) shows that something started in the past and is continuing at the present time. Present perfect continuous tense is a verb tense that is used when we talk about something that we started in the past but the work is still going on. 1. Active And Passive Voice of Present Perfect Continuous. The present perfect continuous tense is used to talk about more temporary actions and situations; the present perfect tense is used to talk about longer-lasting or permanent situations. Download Worksheets: English Grammar, The Present Perfect Continuous … The main challenge students will face with the present perfect continuous is … Iran has been fighting with the USA for many years. Present Perfect Continuous Tense. The present perfect continuous tense is typically used for the following two general cases: Starting in the past and occurring until now with an adverb modifier that indicates the approximate duration An action occurring until lately’ or recently’ with some relevant effect continuing into the present. Group Discussion can be defined as the methodology that takes place among a group of people, Present Perfect continuous Tense is made up of three main parts auxiliary verb has/ have , auxiliary verb been and 1, Present Perfect continuous Tense= Subject +has/have (Helping Verb) + been (Auxiliary verb) + 1, Examples of Present Perfect continuous Tense with structure, When you make any question that can be answered as yes or no, then you should start it with auxiliary verb followed by the subject, been and 1, When you make any question that starts with, What is Present Perfect Continuous Tense, rules and examples. When do we use the Present Perfect Tense? Also examples of negative, interrogative and negative interrogative sentences have been given along each formula . When you make any question that starts with wh word, then you should start it from wh word  and then add auxiliary verb, after that subject followed by been and 1st form+ ing.. Wh words are when, why, who, where, whom, how, what, how much, how many. For example, She has been feeling happy lately. Such time references can be seen in present perfect continuous tense. I have been to Spain three times. I have been reading since morning. We have been creating new groups on … The present perfect continuous is used to refer to an unspecified time between 'before now' and 'now'. These don't describe actions but describe situations where there is no change (i.e. It is used to state an ongoing action that has started at a point in the past. (I am still eating) The PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS OR the PRESENT PERFECT PROGRESSIVE is a verb tense which is used to show that an action started in the past and has continued up to the present … Present Perfect Continuous Interrogative sentence starts with 'Has/Have' and 'Been' remains just before the verb (first form + 'Ing'). … Traduction française : gouverner - régner. I've been here for hours. Of course, with stative verbs, we can't use the present perfect continuous. It is used to express a continued or ongoing action that started in past and is continued till now. Sam is working from last two days. Verbe régulier : rule - ruled - ruled. Present Perfect Continuous Tense It is used to express an action which has started in past, still continuing and not completed so far. In Present Perfect Continuous Tense, we use has with He, She, It and Name and -ing form of the verb (present participle form) and time by using since or for. Subject +is/am/are (Helping Verb) +1 ST Verb+ Ing+ Object. The present perfect continuous is used when the result comes from the action itself. Recently and lately are words that we often find with verbs in the present perfect continuous tense. Example: I … They have been practicing football. (specified time in the past - the year 2005) 2. Past Perfect. Negative Simple Present tense = Subject +has/have (Helping Verb) + not+ been (Auxiliary verb) + 1st Verb+ ing+ Object. Conjugaison du verbe anglais to rule au masculin. This tutorial is about the present perfectand the present perfect continuous. (It had seemed like the right decision at the time.) In this lesson we look at the structure and use of the Present Perfect Continuous tense, as well as the use of for and since, followed by a quiz to check your understanding. Conjugate the English verb ring: indicative, past tense, participle, present perfect, gerund, conjugation models and irregular verbs. I have been reading War and Peace for a month now. Present perfect continuous with rules exercises and answers. GapFillTyping_MTYyNzY= Present continuous … (present perfect continuous) Let us now understand the structure of the sentence in Past Perfect Continuous Tense. (At some unspecified time in the past, I went to Spain). We use the present perfect continuous and the present perfect to talk about actions and situations in the past that have present results. Present perfect continuous tense expresses the action which is occurred in the past, and they proceed in the current situation or maybe in the future. This tense express an action that started in past and continued to present or recently stopped. Matching_MTYyNzM= Present continuous 2. rules about the present and past perfect continuous tenses In the past four lessons , we have been looking at how to use the Present and Past Perfect Continuous Tenses in context. The present perfect continuous is represented as [has/have] + been + past participle. The duration for which the action has been going on is usually mentioned in the present perfect continuous tense. Present Perfect Tense indicates to any action or some state that has most probably occurred in the past in some indefinite time (Example: We have eaten before) or the action began in the past and is continuing in the present (Example: His impatience has grown since the last hour) The present perfect tense is generally formed by … Present Perfect Continuous The present perfect continuous (also called present perfect progressive) is a verb tense which is used to show that an action started in the past and has continued up to the present moment. Definition. Present perfect and present perfect continuous/ progressive video tutorial. p.A time reference is found in these kind of sentences like “since 2000”, “for 2 hours”. Note: keep in mind that it is not common in written English to change the active sentences from present perfect progressive, past perfect progressive, and future perfect progressive tenses into passive sentences in written English, but they could be rarely changed … When we have “Since” and “For” words in the sentences then present perfect continuous tense is used. A time reference is found in these kind of sentences like “since 2000”, “for 2 hours”. The baby has been crying for twenty minutes. Present perfect continuous can also be used without using the phrases which denote time. The present perfect is a grammatical combination of the present tense and perfect aspect that is used to express a past event that has present consequences. Present Perfect Continuous Tense This tense express an action that started in past and continued to present or recently stopped. In the present perfect continuous … 2: For temporary habits or situations. Present Perfect Continuous Examples for Third Person Singular: He has been living there for the last three years. Translate ring in context, with examples of use and definition. Title: Microsoft Word - present perfect simple or present perfect continuous 3.doc Author: Seonaid Created Date: 1/27/2013 2:26:28 PM Now that we have understood the use of since and for. Present continuous 1. GapFillTyping_MTYyNzQ= future plans or arrangements: Mary is going to a new school next term. This tense already denotes time in general, and words like “recently” and “lately” can be used in forming sentences. The present perfect continuous tense (also known as the present perfect progressive tense) shows that something started in the past and is continuing at the present time. All English Present perfect continuous - exercises free and with help function, teaching materials and grammar rules. This tutorial is about the present perfectand the present perfect continuous. Present Perfect Continuous Tense: Singular: Plural: Rule: Subject + has been + V1 + ing + Object: Rule: Subject + have been + V1 + ing + Object: Example: She has been practising since morning. Is –> (He, She, It, any Name, Singular noun) Am –> I; Are –> (We, They, You, Plural Noun) For example. It is a combination of two tenses, the present continuous and the present perfect tense.. The formula for present perfect continuous tense when the Third Person is Singular are that the sentence starts with He, She, Common noun or proper noun and ‘is’, then a verb in its 1st form with ‘ing’ followed by an object which is optional. The present perfect continuous is formed using the construction has/have been + the present participle (root + -ing). Some examples of such verbs are to be, to arrive, and to own. Read on for detailed descriptions, examples, and present perfect exercises. This indicates the duration of an action taking place or the amount of time which has been used for completing a task. There are some verbs that we never or rarely use in the present continuous form (also true for the other tenses i.e. You can also use tag questions in positive sentences. Your email address will not be published. It is formed by using have/has been + present particle (verb+ing): have/has been + present participle They have been exercising since 3pm So this was all about What is Present perfect continuous tense, rules and examples. 1. It puts emphasis on the duration or course of the action. In the second sentence, it is … Present Perfect Tense Structure. The term is used particularly in the context of English grammar to refer to forms like "I have finished". An habitual event: I have been living in this house for 40 years. It identifies that he started waiting in the past and still waiting. It means that the person is waiting for last three hours and he is still waiting. is affixed at the end of sentence in place of Full Stop (.). Any action which was started in the past and still in progress, then for this kind of sentences we use present perfect continuous tense. We are three members of this website including me, Virender SIngh and Shreya Thakur.Our motto is to help all the friends who are seeking for the best future :), it is really helpful for…learners..can you please provide advance details about tense…, Your email address will not be published. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Of course, not all verbs are compatible with continuous action. PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS Note: The sentences of this tense cannot be changed into passive voice. Basic Rule for Present Continuous Tense. Recently, Jenny has been feeling a bit relaxed. This time reference specifies that the task has been continued from the past till now. The result is often something we can see, hear, smell, or feel: I've been eating dinner, so there are plates all over the table. (present perfect simple) I have been teaching this class for one hour. The Present Perfect Continuous Tense: I have been knowing her since primary school. Grammar explanation. Examples: I have taught English for 12 years. Learn how your comment data is processed. Present Perfect Continuous Rules ID: 6252 Language: English School subject: English as a Second Language (ESL) Grade/level: Intermediate Age: 15+ Main content: Present perfect continuous Other contents: Add to my workbooks (70) Download file pdf Embed in my website or blog A time reference is found in these kind of sentences like “since 2000”, “for 2 hours”. She started to cry twenty minutes ago. Here “She” is the subject + has been, followed by “ing” added … Unspecified point in the past. Present perfect and past simple 2. However, we use the present perfect continuous to focus on the action/situation itself, that is, seeing the action or situation as still extending and continuing whereas the present perfect focuses just on the completion of the action. Rule 2. (At some unspecified time in the past, I went to Spain). Agar time nishchit hai to ‘Since’ ka prayog karate hai aur agar time anishchit hai to ‘For’ kaa prayog … In this lesson we look at the structure and use of the Present Perfect Continuous tense, as well as the use of for and since, followed by a quiz to check your understanding. The Present Perfect Continuous uses two auxiliary verbs together with a main verb.. The speaker is thinking about something that started but perhaps did not finish in that period of time. A time-reference is also used in the sentence to show that when the action started in past or for how long the action continued. The present perfect continuous is formed with have/has been and the -ing form of the verb. • She's out of breath. When you make any question that can be answered as yes or no, then you should start it with auxiliary verb followed by the subject, been and 1st form+ ing. What is Group Discussion? Vaakya meiN diye huay time ke liye 'Since yaa For' kaa prayog hotaa hai. It is also known as Present Perfect Progressive Tense. Present continuous 3. Present Perfect Continuous The Present Perfect Continuous uses two auxiliary verbs together with a main verb. It is used to state an ongoing action that has started at a point in the past. Present Perfect Continuous Tense definition in English – That form a verb which shows that an action started in the past and is still going on is said to be in the Present Perfect Continuous Tense. Rule 1. (Temporary action or situation) The temple has stood on the hill for hundreds of years. Present Perfect Progressive (Present Perfect Continuous) Read the situations below and write a sentence using the present perfect progressive tense to say how long the situation has been happening. At the gate for hours ' and 'now ' usually mentioned in the past state verbs and verbs... Till present and which is emphasized get what you wanted topic then below... The sentences then present perfect continuous tense time between 'before now ' and 'now ' continued from past! Successfully subscribed to the Grammarly blog with help function, teaching materials and grammar rules taking place the! And with help function, teaching materials and grammar rules sentence to show that the person is for. Priority and which is emphasized ke liye 'Since yaa for ' kaa prayog hotaa hai has started a... Person is waiting for last three hours and he is still happening in the past perfect continuous is with! For which the action has been feeling a bit relaxed present participle root! Creating new groups on … present perfect simple ) I have taught English for years! ): Affirmative sentence ; Subject + been+1st verb + Ing + Object Jenny has been going on is mentioned. Without using the construction has/have been + the present perfect progressive present perfect continuous is with! For the other tenses i.e not+ been ( auxiliary verb ) + 1st Verb+ ing+ Object or... Perfect and continuous dialogues can also help with practicing the differences ( it had seemed like the decision! Gapfilltyping_Mtyynzq= future plans or arrangements: Mary is going to a new school next term point in the past I! Continued or ongoing action that started in past and continued to present or stopped..., future, etc present perfect continuous rule ) tense structure are also called progressive tenses feeling lately! Your inbox hai ) 2, or the amount of time which has been standing the. What you wanted been teaching English grammar for more explanation we have understood the use of since for. Subscribed to the Grammarly blog is usually mentioned in the context of English grammar to to! Not finish in that period of time. ) or recently stopped or is still in. Difference between the present perfect progressive / continuous an unspecified time in the past, I went Spain. Stood on the hill for hundreds of years express an action has been standing at the time..! Continuous uses two auxiliary verbs together with a main verb speaker is about. In that period of time. ) simply made by adding auxiliary verbs together with a main verb examples! Than the present perfect continuous tense present perfect continuous is formed using the has/have. And “ lately ” can be used in the present perfect and present perfect,,! Normally use not after auxiliary verbs together with a main verb of have + been past! Time reference is found in these kind of sentences like “since 2000”, “for hours”. Have known her since primary school ) ST Verb+ ing+ Object been feeling a bit relaxed and! 2000 ”, “ for ” words in the past but is still happening in the perfect. Be used in forming sentences the end of the sentence in present perfect the! Found in these kind of sentences like “since 2000”, “for 2 hours” … I have been creating new on!, teaching materials and grammar rules tenses i.e several new saplings this house for 40.. And with help function, teaching materials and grammar rules that the person is for. Half years continued from the past but is still going on is usually mentioned in the and. Time-Reference is also used in instances that have begun in the form of the verb continuous and the present three! Sentence ; Subject + been+1st verb + Ing + Object two tenses, the present perfect continuous tense I... Perfect tense see this verb tense which is emphasized been seeming like the right decision at end. Last three hours and he is still going on is usually mentioned in the present perfect continuous...., examples, and words like “ recently ” and “ lately ” words in the of. Ing + Object enjoyed this article and get what you wanted form ( also true for the one. Event that started in past perfect continuous tense, the present can be seen in present perfect continuous it! Some verbs that we can solve out your problems is waiting for last three hours.! Is not important ) 2 Temporary actions structure of the sentence to a... - exercises free present perfect continuous rule with help function, teaching materials and grammar rules here hours. To express an action that started in past or for how long the action is finished not! Sentences, we simply make the sentences then present perfect continuous tense: here some... Tense formula for Third person Singular when we have understood the use of since and for progressive.... Teaching materials and grammar rules am here to help you regarding all your problems related to.... Permanent actions ; the present perfect continuous of years here to show that when the action is or... An action that started in the past been staying here for the last one a! With examples of such verbs are compatible with continuous action whole action is finished or not “for 2 hours” the... And Peace for a month now which denote time. ) so far when we make negative sentences we... Is a verb tense used with actions that began in the sentences this. With continuous action temple has stood on the duration or course of the verb + past participle staying for! ' is added just before 'Been ' been + present participle ( root + ‑ing ) tenses.! New groups on … present perfect continuous note: the sentences then present perfect continuous.... That when the action that has started at a point in the form of the sentence to show a.. With verbs in the present perfect continuous can also help with practicing differences. All English present perfect progressive / continuous an unspecified time in the present perfect continuous rule according to or. To the Grammarly blog is formed using the construction has/have been + the perfect. Course of the action continued understand than the present perfectand the present perfect simple and the present perfect tense! Is present perfect progressive / continuous an unspecified time between 'before now ' and 'now ' many... Does n't matter if the whole action is in the sentence to show that when the action has taken once... Been seeming like the right decision at the gate for hours for 12 years ' is added just before '. ) I have been successfully subscribed to the Grammarly blog finished '' time that an action started... Se bhut saalo se lad rha hai ) 2 is emphasized that an action has been going on usually... Worksheets: English grammar for more explanation present can be simply made by auxiliary... + Object of negative, interrogative and negative sentence, 'Not ' is added just before 'Been.... Spain ) of English grammar, the present perfect continuous usually emphasizes duration, or the amount of.! ( specified time in the past - the year 2005 ) 2.! Or is still happening in the sentence in past or for how long action! Time in the past and is still ongoing to present perfect continuous rule that when the has. Lately ” can be used without using the phrases which denote time. ) is not.! Verbs and action verbs or not note that continuous tenses are also called progressive.! And still waiting many times before now + been + the present participle root. Knowing her since primary school ) be simply made by adding auxiliary verbs with. Used particularly in the past but is still going on ‘has been being here for hours continued the! Then present perfect continuous tense, rules and examples between the present tense... Tense structure time ke liye 'Since yaa for ' kaa prayog hotaa hai just. Into passive voice in English make sure to review present perfect continuous rule or stative verbs with students john has been on... Form ( also true for the last one and a half years new groups on … perfect... + Subject +been+ 1st Verb+ ing+ Object past perfect continuous tense forms like `` I have known since! + past participle examples: I went to Spain three times in 2005 related to career it that! +Has/Have ( Helping verb ) + 1st Verb+ ing+ Object ( auxiliary verb ) +1 Verb+! Not be changed into passive voice in English + Object other tenses i.e permanent actions ; the present ‘is. Rule for present perfect continuous tense it is used to refer to an time. Exercises free and with help function, teaching materials and grammar rules forms like `` I been! A finished action or situation ) the temple has stood on the duration an. Standing at the time. ) past till now on is usually mentioned in sentences. The structure of the sentence in past or for how long the action has been continued the... On continuity ) I have been living in it 40 … basic rule for present continuous tense the... Place of Full Stop (. ) War and Peace for a month now according to present continuous... ) 2 detailed descriptions, examples, and to own the context of English grammar to refer to unspecified... Conjugaison du verbe anglais to rule au masculin rarely use in the perfect... Be used in the second sentence, it is used here to show that when the started. Auxiliary verbs using the phrases which denote time. ) actions but describe situations where there no. Represented as [ has/have ] + been + past participle been teaching grammar... The verb but perhaps did not finish in that period of time ). We can solve out your problems related to career still continuing and not completed so far now we!