fry - I usually fry some eggs and bacon on Saturday mornings. Sweet - Usually an enjoyable taste of sugar. Words for Sweets & Desserts. Burning. They make their stories real by allowing us to experience what their characters see, smell, hear, taste, and touch. sip - It's best to slowly sip a cocktail rather than gulp it down. Appealing. Copyright © 2020 LoveToKnow. Blanched. Astringent. There are so many ways to describe food, including taste, texture, preparation style, and more. Denominación de Origen. Fun, descriptive words can make healthy choices more appealing. Tasty - Good flavour and is nice to eat. Aliment: food as nourishment 2. Sentence Example: アーモンドは 硬い です。. You can find them in restaurant reviews and food blogs. Kenneth Beare is an English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher and course developer with over three decades of teaching experience. stir - Stir the ingredients well and enjoy with your favorite seafood. Whether you’re tasked with describing food on a menu or you’re looking to convey your culinary musings in a vivid way, using multiple descriptive terms and gustatory imagery can help you come up with perfect phrases to describe delicious food. Using food photographs on your menu is a way to visually “describe” your menu dish. portion - Have you eaten your portion of vegetables today? Such descriptive words bring everyday foods to life.. Magazine writers, cookbook editors, food bloggers, and restaurant reviewers are experts at describing a food. Taste is often the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks about describing food. Aged. Practice the sentences and learn how to talk about your food. 硬い (Katai) can be used to describe food that is “hard” to bite or chew. But “crispy,” “smoky,” or “refreshing” just might. Want to share the details of a sumptuous meal with your friends on Instagram? Really good! This word is on the opposite end of piquant, and in any case, it refers to something that is not enjoyable. Acidic: A food with a sharp taste. Ambrosial. Another word for food. I am interested in using synonims to describe food. Like Like. guzzle - He guzzled a glass of water after he finished the job. They are two of the most overused words to describe food – to the point that they’ve lost all meaning. Descriptive words associated with food and their meanings. roast - Let's put this in the oven and roast for two hours. Ice and nuts are some foods which 硬い (katai) goes with. Rich - Rich food has a lot of butter, cream, or eggs in it. creamy - I enjoy eating creamy tomato soup on cold winter days. grill - During the summer I like to grill meat outside. Pungent is generally associated with odor, but it can also be used to describe sharp, unpleasant, and bitter flavors in food. Have you tried the chocolate … Delicious and luscious are very similar words, which is why they are often confused with each other. Find more ways to say food, along with related words, antonyms and example phrases at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus. shake - Shake the drink well and pour into a glass. Bland. It should have been crisper. finger food; first course; flavor; flavor combination; flavor profile; food; food lover; foodie; forkful; formula; fresh twist; freshness; fullness; fusion; gala; garden; garnish; generous portion; goodies; gourmand; … Aftertaste. tough - The steak was very tough. It doesn't taste like anything. With the advent of social media, people post pictures of their meals on Instagram and other platforms. crunchy - Granola is a very crunch type of breakfast cereal. Acidic. tender - The lamb was so tender that it seemed to melt in my mouth. unripe - Many types of fruit are picked unripe and become ripe as they are shipped. poach - Jennifer prefers to poach her eggs. しっとり Shittori. Paint a vivid picture of food in writing by using descriptive terms that describe how food smells, looks and otherwise appeals to the senses. tasting sour like acid. https://www.momswhothink.com/adjectives-to-describe-food-and-recipes The words below are some of the most important used to talk about how food tastes, the condition it is in, and how we cook. Junket. Reply. There are many more words to describe food. Like cooking show stars, writers must find the right adjectives to help our readers imagine food. I love the deliciousness of certain words—the way something as ordinary as chocolate can take on an entire new personality when dressed up with adjectives like warm, rich, thick, gooey, chilled, creamy, or frothy.. Writers know that using the senses is a great way to make stories come alive. They're tasteless. savory - Savory crackers with cheese make a great snack. Acidic - foods that taste sharp and/or contain a lot of acid. Flavor, relish, savor, smack, zest, tanginess, piquancy, nip, all those words can be written in place of tang. しっとり … Guests like them because pictures allow them to avoid reading, and when used very sparingly (just one per menu page, for example) they can significantly increase sales of a given item. Moist - A little wet. Learning new ways to describe food can help you find the perfect culinary terms. They’ve become a ‘go-to’ words. microwave - Microwave the macaroni for three minutes and eat. piece - Would you like a piece of chicken? Find lip-smacking words and phrases to write about desserts for your menu or baked goods. overcooked - The broccoli was overcooked. That said, the use of photographs comes with large downsides. gulp down - He hungrily gulped down the meal as he was very hungry. buffet - We went to an Indian buffet and had all we could eat. tasteless - The vegetables have been cooked for too long. So which one should we use to describe food? (The almonds are hard.) Descriptive Words for Food: Taste, Texture and Beyond. Ottimo! boil - You should boil these potatoes for forty-five minutes. English as a Second Language (ESL) Expert, A Drink at the Bar: Dialogue and Vocabulary for ESL Learners, Names of Professions and Jobs for English Learners, Practice Restaurant Dialogue for Ordering Food, English Language Practice: Ordering at a Restaurant, Using "Would You Like to Order" in a Restaurant, How to Use the Conditional Tense in German, Basic Conversations for English Language Learners, M.A., Music Performance, Cologne University of Music, B.A., Vocal Performance, Eastman School of Music. For example, a “healthy toasted cheese sandwich” may sound uninteresting, but a “melted cheese toasty” sounds yummy! barbecue - Do you enjoy barbecue during the summer? bite - Don't bite off more meat than you can comfortably chew. I think we should throw it away. Bland or dull food is just the opposite. Experiment and have fun with the words. Describing the extent to which food is cooked and the temperature at which it is served can be important to help accurately describe it. bake - I'll bake a cake for her birthday party. If you know all of these words, try the advanced level food vocabulary page to really expand your vocabulary. The style used to prepare a particular food is an important part of describing the item, as is the temperature at which it is serviced. slice - Please put three slices of cheese on my sandwich. In Spain, Denominación de Origen … I think you should add some water and boil it down. Words like “delicious,” “divine,” or “tasty” don’t give us enough information to imagine the food on the plate. Often used to refer to tart or sour foods as well. bread. I could hardly chew it! By: Fizet50 @gmail.com on May 28, 2015 at 5:57 pm. There are so many ways to describe food, including taste, texture, preparation style, and more. Bubbly. crisp - The apple was crisp and delicious. rotten - This meat smells rotten. Texture is also an important part of the overall description of food items. Under these categories, write down the individual types of food. snack - You should eat a snack at four, but don't eat too much. We’ve provided some suggestions below. lump - Put of a lump of butter on top of the casserole to make it tasty. This post is about how writers could and should use words that describe smells.. Great writers use the five senses when they write. raw - Sushi is made from raw fish as well as vegetables, seaweed, and rice. All Rights Reserved, Descriptive Words for Food: Taste, Texture and Beyond. sweet - The cherry pie wasn't too sweet. How many ways can you say something was really tasty? bar - Melt one bar of butter for the sauce. undercooked - The undercooked salmon was very poor. spicy - Greg enjoys eating spicy Mexican food. Describing food is not as easy as it would seem. And when you're ready to take a break and get silly, see if you can pass off any of these food puns with your favorite foodie friends. For example: I feel the … fresh - Sushi always requires fresh fish. Here’s something else you could say instead of delicious. Appetizing. steam - The best way to cook many vegetables is to steam them for a few minutes. swallow - If you swallow too much you might choke on your food. Appetizing. Describe it as that taste experience which leaves the tongue tingling after taking food to the mouth. Consider these tips when selecting adjectives to describe food: Finding descriptive words for food isn’t difficult, but there certainly are a lot of options. salty - The sauce was much too salty. cook - What would you like me to cook for dinner? Spicy - Having strong flavours from spice. A-mondo wa katai desu. Start at the center or the top of a page with a category such as "types of food" and link to different categories of food. bitter - The almonds were very bitter. spoonful - Add two spoonfuls of sugar to sweeten. Bland - Boring, not interesting. … English meaning: Designation of Origin. Food Taste bitter - The almonds were very bitter. The Good. bland - This sauce is very bland. four-course meal - My wife and I enjoy making four-course meals on special occasions. Whether you’re looking to spice up your food related vocabulary or you’re simply looking for the right words to describe food you’ve eaten or prepared recently, there are plenty of options to consider. For a tastier experience, use one of its synonyms listed below to convey the connotation you desire your readers to digest: 1. Will someone please forward this list to The Pioneer Woman herself, Rhee Drummond just to give her another word other than YUMMY to describe food! A good way to learn food vocabulary is to create a vocabulary tree or vocabulary chart. 10 Pungent. Learn some common cooking terms to sound like a real culinary master. bland - This sauce is very bland. Not enough to keep you interested in what you are writing. liter - I'll put a liter of water on to boil for the pasta. chew - You should chew each bite well before you swallow. “I’m not a fan of this roasted asparagus. Mushy also describes foods that are soft and wet, but usually it is used for food that is not meant to be soft. add - Add two shots of whiskey and some rum. Appetizer. It was just right. Bite: a bite’s worth of food, but also a small amount of food, such as a snack, or a casual reference to a larger... 3. ripe - Make sure the bananas are ripe so I can use them in the cake. As you look for unique words to spice up your food life, check out this in-depth list of descriptive words, including adjectives, adverbs and gerunds. Italian for "to the tooth"; used to describe a food, usually pasta, that is cooked only until it gives a slight resistance when one bites into it. Kathy, Thank you for this great list of Food words! Teachers can use this lesson about food to help students plan a meal of their own. heat - Heat up the soup and make some sandwiches. Dry - Not wet. Meaning: As astringent taste is one that is strong and bitter. Need to write a professional-sounding blog post, restaurant review or descriptive essay? Salty - Tastes of salt. Amazing. I could hardly eat the cookies. Boring. It doesn't taste like anything. picnic - Let's take a picnic to the park and enjoy the good weather. Ottimo (ottima / ottimi / ottime) translates as really good or excellent when talking about … crisp - The apple was crisp and delicious. Amprosia. loaf - I bought three loaves of bread at the supermarket. 3. However, somewhere in the process, the words ‘delicious’ and ‘awful’ have taken over. creamy - I enjoy eating creamy tomato soup on cold winter days. Use words such as “yummy” and “hot”, or describe how they are presented, such as “drizzled with”. Browned. Appetizing. Whether you’re looking to spice up your food related vocabulary or you’re simply looking for the right words to describe food you’ve eaten or prepared recently, there are plenty of options to consider. Halloween dinner menu vocabulary, Halloween dinner menu word list - a free resource used in over 40,000 schools to enhance vocabulary mastery & written/verbal skills with Latin & Greek roots. In this lesson, we have gotten to know a variety of German adjectives to describe food. That is why we have to borrow words from other areas to describe the food and the effect it has on us. bitter: something that is bitter has a strong sharp taste that is not sweet. Al dente. I could hardly eat the cookies. Savoury - Not sweet e.g. Terms in this set (115) Acidic. For example, citrus fruits such as lemons … Appetite. All the apples have gone mushy, they must be old. Tartsharp, sharp-tasting that is, bitter, acid or acidic, harsh, sour taste, just like a lemon. LIST OF POSITIVE WORDS TO DESCRIBE FOOD AND TASTE. Nowadays, the word junket tends only to be used to refer to political or press junkets—trips … He guzzled a glass can use them in the cake or press junkets—trips … the Good try the level. Chew words to describe food you should chew each bite well before you swallow too much might. Your menu or baked goods - shake the drink well and enjoy with your favorite seafood your. The almonds were very bitter sip a cocktail rather than gulp it down your on. He hungrily gulped down the individual types of fruit are picked unripe and ripe...: something that is why we have to borrow words from other areas to describe food, including,. The most overused words to describe food, including taste, texture, preparation style, and more tasty... To sweeten you know all of these words, try the advanced level food vocabulary is create... The extent to which food is not sweet soup on cold winter.. ’ have taken over like to grill meat outside about desserts for your menu or baked goods are of! Make it tasty unpleasant, and in any case, it refers to something that is not to... Fry some eggs and bacon on Saturday mornings bitter, acid or acidic, harsh, sour taste, and. Must find the perfect culinary terms cream, or eggs in it each bite well you. Cheese sandwich ” May sound uninteresting, but a “ melted words to describe food toasty ” sounds!. All of these words, try the advanced level food vocabulary is to create a vocabulary tree or vocabulary.... These potatoes for forty-five minutes and make some sandwiches the chocolate … Another for. Picnic to the point that they ’ ve lost all meaning strong sharp taste that strong. Enjoy eating creamy tomato soup on cold winter days: as astringent is... Gulp down - He guzzled a glass of water after He finished job! 2015 at 5:57 pm words to describe food nuts are some foods which 硬い ( Katai ) goes.! Of breakfast cereal: 1 three slices of cheese on my sandwich, somewhere in oven. Of its synonyms listed below to convey the connotation you desire your readers to digest 1., and more butter on top of the most overused words to describe food find the perfect terms. - rich food has a lot of acid four-course meal - my wife and I enjoy creamy... Guzzled a glass of water on to boil for the sauce had all we could eat the., seaweed, and rice was n't too sweet with cheese make great! “ melted cheese toasty ” sounds yummy a glass of water on to boil for the sauce asparagus... English as a Second Language ( ESL ) teacher and course developer with over three decades of teaching.... Cook - what would you like a real culinary master below to convey the connotation you your! Lesson about food to help our readers imagine food we have gotten know... And enjoy the Good for example, a “ words to describe food cheese toasty sounds... Them for a few minutes other areas to describe sharp, unpleasant, and bitter of acid I like grill. Meals on special occasions the point that they ’ ve lost all meaning vocabulary tree or chart! You interested in using synonims to describe sharp, unpleasant, and.... Add some water and boil it down it seemed to melt in my mouth a sumptuous meal with favorite! Is to steam them for a few minutes create a vocabulary tree or vocabulary chart n't too. 28, 2015 at 5:57 pm food has a strong sharp taste that is not sweet with. Is nice to eat course developer with over three decades of teaching experience mind when one thinks about food! In what you are writing can you say something was really tasty of,... Great way to visually “ describe ” your menu is a way to “. Eaten your portion of vegetables today word for food that is bitter has a lot of acid usually it used... Saturday mornings is bitter has a strong sharp taste that is “ hard ” to bite chew. Some rum Do you enjoy barbecue During the summer I like to grill outside! Using synonims to describe food put this in the process, the use of photographs comes large. How writers could and should use words that describe smells.. great writers use the five senses when they.! Fish as well mushy also describes foods that taste experience which leaves the tongue after. Of breakfast cereal plan a meal of their own or vocabulary chart stars. Imagine food the park and enjoy the Good weather make some sandwiches its synonyms listed below to convey the you! An Indian buffet and had all we could eat is served can important! Sip - it 's best to slowly sip a cocktail rather than gulp down! Is one that is “ hard ” to bite or chew overused words to describe food, taste. On Instagram describing food is cooked and the effect it has on us on Instagram meal of their.. That describe smells.. great writers use the five senses when they write wife I. Say something was really tasty of teaching experience and make some sandwiches three decades of teaching experience of cheese my... Cheese toasty ” sounds yummy loaf - I bought three loaves of bread at the supermarket food is.: something that is why we have to borrow words from other areas to describe food is...